Instant Forest Walkway or Outdoor Room Floor!



"Making Foot-paths out of nothing at all... out of nothing at all..." (Sung to the tune of "making love out of nothing at all")

Hello my sparkly Friends! Continuing work on the labyrinth, I started getting bored with the same ol' "Rock*Brick*Gravel theme and thought I would mix it up a bit! I want this side of the Labyrinth to lead to a "Garden Room" and I wanted something prettier for the floor. After googling how I could grow moss with beer and buttermilk, I decided I just don't want to wait that long for moss to grow!
So I came up with a thrifty streak of green genius! First, lay your main floor/walkway rocks. Then we are going to transplant hardy grasses and moss to fill in the cracks and look like it has been there for years using my simple technique!
This idea came to me while being scolded by the hubs that "Sod needs full sun to grow it's going to die!" when he saw my $5.00 patch of Home Depot sod that I decided looks a bit "too perfect" for my taste. It is like the metrosexual of the plant kingdom. It's way too well groomed. So perfect it's creepy (like a guy with a manicure and shiny nails! EEWWW) It's like grass that really needs to address it's "grassuality" and decide if it is really grass or not. Poor confused sod. You belong on a golf course. With Tiger. Nuff said about that. I actually like golf by the way so don't think I am judging!

So my brilliant and "muy" (that's spanish for "very") THRIFTY idea was to search out sod's unrefined redneck cousin... Crabgrass, who everybody knows is the bad guy at the lawn party who is not afraid to kick green butt of any plant naive enough to think it can grow close to him.
Yep- this is what I'm talking about!

Search out a nice, firm, ruggedly handsome clump of crabgrass, and carefully pull him up by his roots.
Take your scissors, and give him a brazilian.
Then you can artfully plant him in between your rocks! Try and mix up grass varieties and textures.

Then you can fill in the gaps with moss that you must have growing somewhere on your property.

Continue this until you have the desired size walkway or floor.
I am not nearly finished yet as you can see!

So there you have it! My nice, green shade loving MACHO SOD that will grow even if I forget about him. You can't beat that! If only husbands were more like sod.... Ha! The GRASS is always greener... you know the rest! LOL!

Jack, do you never sleep ---
does the green still run deep in your heart?
Or will these changing times,
motorways, powerlines,
keep us apart?
Well, I don't think so ---
I saw some grass growing through the pavements today.
Ian Anderson


Sparkly Hugs,
Tobi and the Pixies





15 comments

  1. Wonderful idea and it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up Tobi! Great post! Looks like your path is going to look great when it fills in.

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! What a great post! I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great Outdoor Wednesday post.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  5. It figures. Only YOU can make crabgrass look good! Heeehee!!! Your little path is BEAUTIFUL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool new blog to me! I must return! But I first have to go check your giveaway again! Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh goodness Tobi. I feel like I hit the jackpot finding your blogs. I can tell you're going to get tire of me stopping by. :)

    hugs...Tracy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. love it! looking forward to our swap!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your idea of USING crabgrass! We have more rocks here in NW Arkansas than you could imagine so looks like I will be building some paths!
    xoox
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! It looks great! I want pavers with grass in between but The Hubster said no go cause he does not want to have to trim it all! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now this is just too cute and funny. I laughed! You can come get all the different grasses you want out of my yard plus moss plus pasture grass plus woodland grass plus field grass...it's free. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Forgot to say...my other half kills the grass in between our stone walkway....He does it everytime before I realize it's been done. I told him to PLEASE let it grow. :) UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely project. It's always a pleasure to sit back and admire your work. Tobi, you are so darn cute and a firecracker. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your sweet thoughts. Happy Mother;s day to you.

    ReplyDelete